Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Do These Weights Make My Muscles Look Big? PART II

I begin with a conversation I had with my sweet grandma this past weekend at my sister's baby shower...

Grammy: "Brandi! Your arms are so big! So are your shoulders! Please tell me that you are not still trying to lose weight, are you?"

Me: "Yes, I am. I'm trying to change my body composition and focus on fat loss while still building muscle."

Grammy: "Well, for goodness sakes! Try to lose some muscle in those arms. They are much too muscular!"



Hmmm...


"Mass" Appeal? Nope. I suppose not. What some find sexy and appealing in the bodybuilding world, others (my 78 year-old grammy included) find uncomely and abnormal. Is it the culture of competing and the value we place upon a well-formed V-taper or is it an age thing? Could be. Ya know those high waisted, god-awful jeans the older generations are so fond of? No mass appeal there. Makes your ass look like that of a frog standing up on its hind legs. No. Thank you. I will keep my big ol' arms and my low-rise, boot cut jeans just the way they are.

So, with the looks of shock I got from flexing for my family, I think I am on the right path. I was a good girl. I carried around my fish and spinach everywhere I went and bypassed the queso and chips at my favorite Houston restaurant, Cyclone Anaya's. (I am still crying inside.) I got up and did my fasted cardio and even took my mom's fluffy fruit of a dog with me to run along beside.


NOTE TO SELF: Running with a Pomeranian is NEVER a good idea. The little pooch kept up for about 1/4 mile and then decides to cut right in front of my legs with the leash. Needless to say, I ate country road gravel and threw his fuzzy fanny back in the house. The boyfriend and parents found this hilarious. I, however, was not amused.

In summation, the look of a figure gal might not be for everyone. Truthfully, I am only worried about those judges sitting there with their impassive faces and pencils and hope they find my mass appealing.

So, Grandma thinks my arms and delts are too big. I am okay with that. I am sure she will be right there whooping her little heart out for me onstage and telling my parents (too loudly, of course!) that my competition looks like a bunch of tramps.



"Energy and persistence conquer all things."
Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment